Friday 29 July 2011

PWA Fuerteventura

PWA Fuerteventura
After my training here in Fuerteventura for 10 days I felt totally ready to face the hard condition Fuerte always has to offer, 3.7 weather, big shop and sometimes even some small waves perfect to see high flying action from everybody and get some exciting heats!
JC/PWA
But looking to the forecast for the event everybody knew it wasn’t going to be any of this at all instead we saw Fuerte from a whole other side, sailing not smaller than 4.3 and even using 4.7 it was totally different then I thought it would be but all by all we had everyday enough wind in the afternoon to sail a whole double elimination.
The single
On the first day the wind kicked in around noon allowing competition to start, wind around 20 knts of wind it was perfect freestyle conditions for 4.3 allowing the show to start. I didn’t feel good in my heats and didn’t sail my best heat so far, I was struggling with the extremely choppy conditions. Not that fuerte not always is choppy but not like this leaving me struggling with even landing burner in my first heat against Levi Lenz, but landed good other moves like kono, culo, shakas on both side and just made sure I landed at least my 3 moves on each side to advance into the next round.
JC/PWA
In my second heat I would meat Antony Ruenes who always can put together strong heats like we saw in Lanzarote. Before the heat I went out and trained on my burners again for 10 min trying to figure out how to get them right in these conditions so I wouldn’t have problems with landing that in the heat as I knew I needed it to win again Antony. The heat went already a lot better than against Levi and I managed to advance against Antony to put myself in that top 8 spot after the single.
JC/PWA
On the second day we finished the single elimination. In the 3rd round I met Golitto Estredo and finally got a good heat together landing a nice skopu, burner, culo and so on but missed a massive burner OH on the way out. In the end Golitto just sailed a better heat to keep it going till the end of the single to put him on first place after the second day of sailing in Fuerteventura.
The double.
In the double I had to wait to see who my opponent would be. The conditions were really flat and it was 4.7 weather instead of 4.3 like the day before with some waves where I felt better in than in the flat conditions. I knew I was going to meet Davy as he was working himself up in the double again and knew I had to sail a good heat to win in the flat conditions which are the conditions where he feels home in. No chance to throw big airmoves like high shaka I gave it my best shot, I sailed a good heat landing burners both side, plaining Culo and a nice high Kono on the way in but couldn’t win as Davy sailed his best heat of the event landing perfect spock-culo and airfunnel into funnel900 on the way out putting me into a 9th place and get me out of my top 8 place.
JC/PWA

In the end it was another top 10 place but in totally different conditions than I expected and looked forward to but next year hopefully will see real Fuerte conditions again and go for a better result! Next up is Sylt end of September which will be all determent for the endranking where I will for sure stay in the top 10 but will have to get a good result to stay in my 8 place as there will be 2 discards after the 7th event.
JC/PWA
The last day there was not enough time anymore to run a single and a double which made us go to an alternative supersession. Everybody who wanted to compete was turned into 4 different heats from around 8 people where the first 2 would advance from into the superfinal. I had a strong first round but opened the heat with a nice big kono to put me already in a very good spot to advance into the super final which I just did behind Steven and in front of Quincy. The super final was fun landing a burner into flaka as only good move I knew I wouldn’t win at all but that didn’t matter for me as everybody just put on a great show for the crowed on the beach. During our latest run all doing a forward was just great! So a nice last day with great fun! 
Cheers Dieter

No comments:

Post a Comment